Table of Contents
JMeter and Selenium are two unique devices with various functionalities in the testing space. Both these instruments are helpful for web application testing. JMeter is for execution testing, while Selenium is predominantly for Automation Testing. This article will explain to you how these devices, JMeter and Selenium Tests automate depending on their usefulness and list down the advantages and disadvantages of each. Continuous Testing and Continuous Integration are the most ideal approaches to guarantee your item continually performing ideally. Load testing with JMeter or different apparatuses, and browser testing with Selenium, can be coordinated into the CI cycle. Thus, through Jmeter training, it will assist designers to choose which device will meet their requirements.
What is JMeter?
Apache JMeter can be defined as an open-source Java application intended to load test functional conduct and check software execution. Initially, it was intended for testing web applications, it has extended to incorporate other test-related capacities. Furthermore, JMeter can reproduce a hefty load on a server by making a huge number of virtual simultaneous clients to the webserver.
Explain how JMeter performs tests?
- Makes a request and sends it to the server.
- Gathers reactions from the server and portrays the subtleties in a diagram or chart.
- Cycles the reaction from the server.
- Produces test outcomes in different layouts like XML, text JSON for the analyzer to investigate information.
What is Selenium?
Selenium is a structure utilized for automation testing of web applications. It stretches out wide support to a dominant part of browsers, operating frameworks, and programming dialects. It likewise upholds cross-browser testing yet is restricted to web applications. Selenium doesn’t uphold portable application testing. There are different segments of Selenium, however, the most generally utilized apparatus is Selenium WebDriver because of its complex functionalities.
Explain how Selenium Webdriver performs tests?
- In a Selenium script, each explanation will be changed over to a URL with the assistance of the JSON Wire Protocol over HTTP. The URLs will be passed to the Browser Drivers.
- Each Browser Driver utilizes a HTTP server to get HTTP demands. When the Browser Driver gets the URL, it will pass the solicitation to the browser over HTTP. The orders in the Selenium script will at that point be implemented on the browser.
- If it is a POST request, there will be an activity on the browser.
- On the off chance that it is a GET request, the related reaction will be produced at the browser end and it will be transferred over HTTP.
Utilising Taurus for Load and Browser Test Automation
Taurus is an open-source test automation system and can assist you with mechanizing open-source apparatuses, like Selenium, JMeter, The Grinder, Locust Gatling, and Siege. It allows you to execute tests consequently and in corresponding to accomplish better test inclusion. In the event that you run the load and functional tests in the cloud, you can likewise see and investigate test outcomes for JMeter and Selenium via rich reports and distinguish the problems and trends.
Taurus can be defined as a line device that allows you to characterize your test universe by utilizing YAML, an intelligible and writeable language, or via the JSON design, that you can produce in your code. Taurus assembles and executes the tests continuously through a configuration document, and afterward breaks down and communicates the outcomes. It upholds various cloud locations from various suppliers: Google, Amazon, Azure, and so forth.
Automating JMeter and Selenium Tests
- Download Taurus
- Fabricate or import 2 scripts: One for Selenium which mechanizes the browser, one for JMeter commands for arriving at scales. In the event that you add limits to the test, it will appear on the Taurus nearby interface while the outcomes are in. In these two YAML scripts –
- The Selenium script computerized the default browser Firefox, for this url – http://www.blazedemo.com/, from 5 distinct areas, briefly increased, for a full test span of 5 minutes and for 1 VU. We likewise included pass/fail rules, if the normal reaction time is in excess of 150 milliseconds for over 30 seconds, the test will stop as failed.
- The JMeter script tests 2 requests- one GET solicitation to http://blazedemo.com, one POST solicitation to http://blazedemo.com/reserve.php, with 2 body boundaries. The test is executed from 5 unique areas, briefly increased, for a full test length of 5 minutes and for 20 VUs.
- First, run the test locally, to guarantee it operates a long time prior to submitting it. Your browser will presumably open up multiple times during the trial and it is ordinary. The two frameworks are executed by Taurus and run in parallel on the local machine. They can be seen continuously. It is the Taurus dashboard for these two tests:
In the upper right, you can view the two tests running in equal (Selenium: test_requests.py, JMeter: Thread Group). Taurus can execute Selenium from various programming languages like Python, Java, and Ruby. The default language is Python.
In the upper right, the alarm for the pass/fail measures which is going to be met is shown. In the center, you can view the total insights (for Selenium and JMeter) for the solicitations in various KPIs, like associate time, latency, error rate, and so forth.
- Presently, execute the tests in the cloud by including the cloud to the command line. The tests will be opened in CA BlazeMeter and executed in parallel from multi geolocations. CA BlazeMeter gives rich reports investigating diverse KPI relationships, drifts and finding bottlenecks.
- Taurus can be included to Jenkins via the ‘Execute shell’ build step. Now, you could automate your JMeter and Selenium tests in parallel on Taurus and as part of the CI cycle.
Areas of Application: JMeter
JMeter finds the most extreme number of simultaneous clients that a site can deal with and gives an assortment of graphical investigations of execution reports.
It likewise incorporates load and stress testing as demonstrated in the figure underneath.
- Load Testing: Modeling the normal use by mimicking different client access to the Web benefits simultaneously.
- Stress Testing: Each web server has the greatest load limit. At the point when the load goes past the cutoff, the webserver begins reacting gradually and produces errors. The reason behind stress testing is to track down the greatest load the webserver can deal with.
The figure portrays how JMeter load Testing simulates the hefty load. There are numerous organizations that function for a customer. Each organization sends a request to the customer all the while and gets the reaction. If there is a substantial load of information during the reaction, JMeter is utilized to quantify and test the execution of an application in such situations.
Before analyzing the performance of a web application, you should determine the following:
- Normal Load
- Heavy load
- Target in the test
Areas of Application: Selenium
Suppose one wants to perform cross-browser testing of a web application with numerous client activities reproduced on the site. For instance, they are required to finish form enrollment, check the email address for security purposes and afterward sign in to the site simultaneously on five browsers. Selenium Webdriver is valuable in those situations.
JMeter and Selenium Integration
Advantages of JMeter
- Simple to use without broad knowledge of programming. It has an easy-to-understand UI and one can likewise utilize CLI.
- Assures integration with Jenkins and reporting.
- Simple installation on any operating framework.
- Key highlights like the Thread Group assists with viewing whether software execution is acceptable.
- Test IDE permits test recording from browsers or local applications
- Permits Database Testing, API testing, and MQ testing effortlessly.
- If there’s a high number of TPS, one can accomplish more exchanges each second given the hyper-limits.
Disadvantages of JMeter
- Automation is much difficult using JMeter
- Complex applications which utilize dynamic content or utilize JS to change requests can be hard to test utilizing JMeter.
- JMeter output reports are hard to comprehend without training
- It’s hard to get information from one spot or to execute customizations.
Advantages of Selenium
- You could create your own framework and can connect with various other devices which utilize keywords, frameworks, etc. It assists in making it a stronger solution.
- It is not limited by licensing.
- The Selenium Grid permits testers to implement parallel testing. It fastens tests and saves time.
- Selenium provides clients the flexibility to customize or write their own code, make their own features, etc.
Disadvantages of Selenium
- It does not provide enough data for personality testing.
- Test maintenance is hard in applications utilizing AJAX
- If proper execution methods are not carried out, testing will be slow.
- The Selenium User Interface is outdated
JMeter and Selenium are both utilized for web application testing. However, the principal contrast is that JMeter is for the most part utilized to test the functioning of web applications under load and stress. Then again, Selenium is most appropriate for automation and cross-program testing of a site. In view of what kind of testing is fundamental for the task, one can select JMeter or Selenium or coordinate both if that fills their need.
I am VarshaDutta Dusa, Working as a Senior Digital Marketing professional & Content writer in HKR Trainings. Having good experience in handling technical content writing and aspires to learn new things to grow professionally. I am expertise in delivering content on the market demanding technologies like ServiceNow Training, Oracle Service Bus Course, SQL Server DBA Course, Elasticsearch Course, Jmeter Course, Kibana, ServiceNow HR Service Management etc.