Table of Contents
The article includes top 15 questions answers when preparing for selenium automation tester interview.
Automation testing plays a major role during the entire lifecycle of a software product. This would be great to focus on the selected number of questions only when you are planning to appear for your next interview. If you will think of so many details then it may confuse you completely in the end. This is the reason we focused on specific selenium interview questions answers in this post.
Selenium Interview Questions Cover Topics:
- Selenium Interview Questions
- Selenium Interview Questions and Answers
Learning and practicing for the tool are different things but cracking an interview needs good presentation and understanding of key concepts. This is the reasons we have given a list of most popular questions that are frequently asked by the interviewers either you are fresher and experienced. So, make sure you have a complete idea of each of the topics discussed below and they are explained in a good manner to impress the interviewer.
Selenium Interview Questions
- What do you understand by the term automation? What is Selenium automation testing?
- What are the right candidates for Selenium automation testing?
- How to determine the right set of test cases for automation testing?
- When you actually need the testing and why to automate it?
- Can you give some examples when automation testing is not good for your software product for the agile method?
- To what level automation can be achieved during software testing?
- Take an example of a software product you are currently testing which is not automated yet, so how to automate this?
- How can you decide on the right automation tool? Are there any criteria that you should keep in your mind before you take the final decision?
- What do you understand by the framework during automation testing?
- How will decide on the right framework? Are there any attributes you should focus on?
- Do frameworks are necessary for automation testing?
- Where should the information like login credentials or other security details be stored?
- Can you explain some best practices while performing selenium automation testing?
- Should testing be performed at UI level only?
- Why testers lack in automating testing? How to overcome the challenges?
Selenium Interview Questions and Answers for Fresher
Q1). What do you understand by the term automation? What is Selenium automation testing?
Ans. Automation is something that can reduce the overall human efforts. Selenium automation testing is a technique that helps testers to write or execute the test scripts automatically. It not only reduces the manual efforts but increases speed and accuracy of a software product too.
Q2). What are the right candidates for Selenium automation testing?
Ans. Here is a quick list of facts that you can automate with the help of selenium automation tool or any other testing tool –
- Similar tasks that are repeated over a certain time period.
- To accelerate the deployment.
- Sanity or smoke tests.
- Test cases having multiple data sets.
- Regression test suite
- To automate the GUI elements, APIs or methods etc.
Q3). How to determine the right set of test cases for automation testing?
Ans. There is not a single answer to this question but this is always better to share your past experiences and method you followed for your previous projects. Moreover, it always depends on the software product or application you are planning to test with the tool. However, the general process could be defined in the following steps –
- Select the right automation tool i.e. Selenium Testing here.
- Write down the scope of testing how it may beneficial for your software product.
- Testing should be carried throughout the entire lifecycle of a software product like planning, designing, development, deployment etc.
- Write test cases carefully and execute then step by step.
- Maintenance is also necessary either it is done during development or post-development.
Q4). When you actually need the testing and why to automate it?
Ans. Here are the quick facts that will give you a clear idea why automation testing is needed by the industries –
- When software product under testing changes frequently.
- Where it is possible to write and execute test cases automatically.
- In case of random testing too, automation testing is helpful.
Q5). Can you give some examples when automation testing is not good for your software product for the agile method?
Ans. Here, are a few examples that are discussed based on experiences of experienced software automation testers –
- The automation testing is not good for the agile method if it always demands changes in discussed requirements.
- The automation testing Is not a good choice if documentation is needed at the exhaustive level.
- It is good for regression test cases and continuous test cases not for other types of testing.
Q6). To what level automation can be achieved during software testing?
Ans. According to experts, 100 percent automation can be difficult to achieve by software testers. But there are cases when automation testing needs to mix with manual testing to get the best results. The test cases that are not executed frequently should not be added to the automated suite.
Q7). Take an example of a software product you are currently testing which is not automated yet, so how to automate this?
Ans. I want to list a few steps that should be used while you are planning to automate the testing for a project –
- First of all, you need to study deeply which test cases can be automated and which test cases are executed seldom.
- At the next step, decide on the automation tool that suits best for your software product.
- Now framework designing takes place at the third point.
- Also, design the environment or utility files.
- Scripting needs to start once you are done all previous steps.
- Don’t forget to work on reporting and fix time how much time should be given for scripts maintenance.
Q8). How can you decide on the right automation tool? Are there any criteria that you should keep in your mind before you take the final decision?
Ans. Here are few facts that you should keep in mind while deciding on the right automation tool like Selenium.
- It should be easy to use and understand.
- The debugging facility should be excellent as needed.
- The identification of objects should be robust.
- The image testing facility adds extra benefits to the project.
- The tool should be able to check the performance of databases.
- If a tool can support multiple frameworks then it is just the right choice for your next project.
Selenium Interview Questions and Answers
Q9). What do you understand by the framework during automation testing?
Ans. A framework is a set of code that is structured so beautifully that it can be enhanced or maintained when needed.
Q10). How will decide on the right framework? Are there any attributes you should focus on?
- The framework should be able to adopt changes quickly.
- There should be components that can be reused throughout the program.
- The script should be able to able to run independently.
- There is one logging facility that reports bugs as soon some script gets failed during execution of code.
- The reporting should be exhaustive and you should be able to send reports in different formats.
- The best ranking platform can be quickly integrated with other tools or framework as per the requirements.
Q11). Do frameworks are necessary for automation testing?
Ans. No, frameworks are just the guidelines, not the mandatory rules but if the framework is used then we can maintain or enhance the testing performance to a larger extent.
Q12). Where should the information like login credentials or other security details be stored?
Ans. All these important details should be stored in a separate file so that it could not be accessed by the third-party users.
Q13). Can you explain some best practices while performing selenium automation testing?
Ans. Some of the good coding practices that are used by experienced Selenium automation testers include –
- Comments should be added at appropriate places.
- Identify the all reusable components and store them in a separate file.
- Use code conventions that are language specific.
- Test data should be maintained in a separate file.
- The scripts should run on regular time spans.
Q14). Should testing be performed at UI level only?
Ans. Most industries believe that testing should be done at UI level only otherwise it may increase the overall project costs. But this is not true as testing is something that should be done from beginning and errors should be fixed at same phase only.
Q15). Why testers lack in automating testing? How to overcome the challenges?
Ans. The reasons are lack of knowledge or non-IT background that prevents you from learning the tool. The best idea is to educate your testing team and arrange regular training session to keep them up to date with latest testing techniques.
Selenium Interview Questions Conclusion
So, don’t forget to save these questions and understand them deeply to crack your next interview and grab attractive salary packages you are expecting for you. We wish you all the best in your upcoming interview!